Saturday 27 August 2011

Progress @ 25

Today my lesser me got a hold of the stage,
And began to showcase
All the woes
That were felt
deep
down.


The performance was magnanimous,
A pantomime of heart-ache
With a showcase of events that had transpired,
Leading me to this point of dis-appoint-ment.

Twenty – five drummed as the backbeat of the show,
And I must confess I did not stop me,
From taking the limelight
And staging one heck of a performance!

After all, as I followed the steps of progression in life,
I felt that I was entitled to certain certainties,
As I left school with GCSE’s,
Moving on to the institution
that benchmarked the next stage of progress…
College - A Levels…
University – For a Degree…
School of Education - A PGCE…
I could not help but search worriedly for the next institution that would mark my progress.

Naturally I looked around me,
To my right, to my left...
And the status quo flagged marriage as the next step,
But wait,
The institution of marriage didn’t seem to be enrolling,
At least not for someone of my attributes,
Although knowing fully well the Wisdom in this,
Today I decided not to fight,
And decided to resign and cradle myself on my bedroom floor.

Herein I realised the next institution…
Myself
– Everything had led to this point; this was the ultimate institution –
Which was given the very loaded task of labelling my existence:
Valid and worthy,
Or
Invalid and unworthy –
Unfortunately,
The tools this particular institution would be measuring me against would be:
My hopes and wants,
All of which had been cut and pasted from a series of secular and non-secular places.
[Pause for dramatic effect]

In this way,
Myself told me I was failing,
And being who I am,
Not one likened to take failure as a friend,
I began half-heartedly putting up a fight.

As the deceit of myself continued for several more acts,
(Myself feigning to be the damsel in distress)
I began to realise,
As always,
In spite of the perceived failings,
And the obvious successes
The show must go on –

And so I took back the microphone
Turning myself off,
Yanking my nafs in its rightful place
- off stage

Chanting beautiful reminders,
From Prophets (upon whom all be peace)
Sabr an jameel
(Patience is beautiful)
And Forbearance is the key.

May Allah give us all the strength to not be overpowered by our deceitful nafs’ easily influenced by the was-wasaa of the accursed one.

3 comments:

  1. wow,young lady! dat wz beautiful, Masha'Allah! i'm feeling d same ryt nw d only difference being the choice between the Instituition of marriage &Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. InshaAllah may God be with you and help you decide on what's best for your Deen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alhamdulilah! Awesome. Really signifies the circle of life, and the stages of life which we all feel obliged to conform towards. College..University...Post graduate and then marriage. The battle to digress from any of these stages (especially within the asian community) is frowned upon to say the least. Love how the 'battle' at the end becomes associated with our 'inner battle' and the fight to destroy our primitive and selfish nafs. Excellent writing, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete